But now they're big and spend the day free ranging around the minifarm.
For awhile they were living in our mudroom while we built the coop.
Then they were in the coop with a fenced in area.
Then they free ranged during the day and went into the coop each night.
But for now they've stopped laying eggs (I'm told this is perfectly normal when the seasons change/days get shorter/colder) and now we need to get their permanent coop ready in time for winter.
To do that we had to dig a bunch of post holes, which was miserable. We rented an auger, post hole digger thing, We kept hitting roots and rocks and compacted soil. I ended up with a giant bruise when we hit something in one hole and I lost my grip on the handles and got whacked. Hard. Oh my gosh it hurt.
But, we got the poles in the ground. Then we had to dig little trenches for the fence. This photo was from trench digging that might have been done on Labor Day, but I already forgot.
And last weekend, it was finally moving day for the chickens. Here's a look at mid-tear down of the old fence since we needed to make room to wheel the coop out.
To do all of this, we had to first clear the tall grasses and weeds in the rows between the wind break, which is basically four rows of trees/bushes in an L-shape at the back of our house and between the giant shop (aka M's man cave).
That took forever and then I had to clear a few of those trees/bushes for the fence so then I was all about pruning the trees and clearing out the dead limbs.
Call me Paul Bunyan.
This wasn't what I had in mind. On Sept. 10