This might mean nothing to you, but as my dear friend Ally pointed out to me this morning, it is the official start of my birthday month.
In a few weeks, I'll turn 30. I've been prepping for the "OH MY GOSH I'M 30!" freakout, so maybe that's why I feel so calm about it. And really, so much has been happening, once I realized it was officially my birthday month, I got pretty excited. In case I haven't told you, I love my birthday. Mom says one day I won't, but I'm pretty sure I'll always love my birthday.
What better excuse for bringing all your favorite people together, or setting goals before reaching a certain age? Birthdays are fun. I don't care about expensive gifts, or fancy, trendy parties. I care about having spent another year on this Earth doing things I care about with people I love. And for one day a year, I get to be reminded, if not amazed, by just how wonderful my life really is.
But since it is the big 3-0, let's revisit the 30 by 30 list. Posts about each of these items are coming!
I created this list in February, and it was lofty, but I've done pretty gosh darn close to most of the list. Original list in black, status reports in green.
2. Explore at least one more foreign country. First up, Estonia! Haven't done this yet, but you guys, we bought a house!
3. Visit the farmers market in town. I hear it's fantastic. Been a few times!
4. Learn to compost. We've started a compost pile and built our own bins and everything.
5. Start my own herb garden. This is well underway, though we might end up killing most things we started this year. It's our learning year.
6. Think about growing my own fruits and vegetables. Already growing veggies, fruits coming next!
7. Run another half marathon, and beat my best time of 2 hours, 20 minutes. Haven't done this one yet, but started doing Insanity and did a race the other day, 5 miles in under an hour. Still deciding about really doing another half.
8. Play tennis again. Yeah, haven't done this yet, but there's been talk in the office about hitting the courts again.
9. Visit all of the wineries in Montana. Haven't been out that way since we bought a house, but there was a Montana wine night.
10. Host at least 3 more international dinner nights. Cooking up a plan for the next one this month!
11. Declutter my inbox. Did this a few times, but it keeps filling back up. On it.
12. Go to a rodeo or something else quintessentially Montana. Didn't get to the fair this week, but might be going to the fill your bucket event at my favorite honey spot next weekend!
13. Be a better pen pal. Room for improvement, but progress has been made!
14. Volunteer more. Done a little bit of this and finding the local areas where I want to get involved.
15. Follow through on some crafty projects. Starting with my chalkboard frame. Chalkboard frame is done! See it here.
16. Make more from thrift store finds. I'm counting auctions in this and oh my gosh have we had some finds there!
17. Purge my wardrobe to the things I really need. Got a pile of sorts of the things to go. Full purge is coming for sure.
18. Get a pair of boots. I've never owned any and sort of need them in Montana! Done and I love my boots! Plus they were on sale!
19. Read 30 books. Sorta fell down on this one, but did finish a few books and started a few more.
20. Roadtrip to Seattle/West Coast. Plan is in the works on this one, for probably September. I'm counting it.
21. Visit my friend Jeannette in California and Kate in Canada. Plan also in the works for this one.
22. Snowshoe with the dogs. Gonna have to wait until it snows again.
23. Hike the Chinese Wall in Montana. Maybe next weekend.
24. Do the multi-day kayak/hiking/camping trip the boyfriend and I have been talking about. We did a few day trips and have big plans for the multi-day, just need a long weekend for that.
25. Make a return trip to Yellowstone National Park. Check!
26. Explore Bozeman, Montana. People rave about it, but I haven't been yet. Check! But, I'd go back for a longer visit.
27. Go back to yoga. Started doing yoga at home again. Might start going to classes again with friends.
28. Dust off my skates and hit the ice again. Ice opens up again soon and you can bet I'll be on it.
29. Visit at least 5 state parks. Did a few, have more to go.
30. Become a part of my new community. Definitely off to a good start on this. Only been here half a year, more to come!